Friday, April 30, 2010

Who Knows Better Than a Cowboy and Bugs

Okay these are the two things on my mind today. And just in case there is any confusion, the two don't necessarily go together.
First I will start with the cowboy thing. I have been quite irritated since almost a year ago I was talking to some young people and one of them was outraged at the fact that cows are kept in pens in large numbers. The audacity of young people really gets to me. Sometimes they don't have a clue what they are talking about. Have they got a clue that they don't know as much as they think they do at least? I have needed to write this down to get it out of my system and then I will be done with it because I know it won't change the minds of anyone but I will feel better. Mainly these kids, as I call them, have the impression that country folk or, specifically, cowboys are dumb and uneducated. Oh so wrong. I don't know all cowboys, but I know the cowboys in my life and they are the most intelligent, hardworking, industrious, caring, and savvy of anyone I meet from the city. And cows are their life. They have had to learn everything there is to know about cows in order to make a good living and to pass down their legacy. They would not last long at all in their business if they don't take care of their animals. So if they keep them in a corral with lots all together, believe me they know what they are doing.
Now about bugs. I don't like bugs. So I try to keep them out of my life. But I've been wondering if this is the next thing I will have to endure from the same people who worry about cows or little mice (I once had a comment from someone like this on my blog about catching a mouse). I mean, there is a reason that we use the term "Bug" for something that irritates us. Bugs really bug me. So are we going to have to make sure that we are being humane to bugs and are we going to be villified for using the term "bug" in a deragatory way? I don't know, but these people really are starting to "BUG" me.

1 comment:

Kristi said...

In my line of work I deal with a lot of people who like to complain about the way farmers and ranchers treat animals and the environment. The most common misconception is that people in agriculture related jobs are uneducated because they don't always have formal education, therefore they must be treating the resources poorly.The opposite is true, they are educated through on the job training. The reason that farmers and ranchers are a larger target is because they work with more land and animals than the average person.They are also the most concientious stewards of land and animals because that is what keeps them in business. It is a lot harder to prove that when you are managing thousands of animals vs. a few pets or thousands of acres of land vs. a yard. They were basically the world's first environmentalists, but unfortunatly the many environmental contributions made by farmers don't get recognized in the news or elsewhere. Critics are all too quick to point their fingers at farmers for environmental problems. Often there is no real scientific data or research to support these claims. Most people who are criticall couldn't do as good of a job as the person they are criticizing.

Oh and I hate bugs too!