Thursday, January 14, 2010
Anger Management
I've had an experience today with anger that brings this subject to mind. For my job I sometimes have to write letters. Yesterday, I was asked to write one. We had no idea who to talk to (who was in charge), no known address to mail to, nor any phone number that we could call. So I wrote the letter and it was delivered by our manager. I was blessed to not be to the office yet when the person in charge arrived with enough anger to be dangerous. I reread the letter to see what I had put in it that would be so offensive and create this type of anger. I am baffled. So I am wondering. Why does anyone in their right mind think that an anger such as that will resolve any issue at all. The main idea of the letter was that we needed communication and the Board would like them to attend a Board Meeting and clear things up. WEll this man was very offended that he should be asked to do such a thing. I am more baffled. This isn't a man I know very well, but he doesn't have the reputation for anger or unreasonableness. All I can say is that I am more aware than ever that anger NEVER solves any issue. It creates new ones. It loses friends for you. It makes you miserable. I am vowing to try to always keep my anger in check and never feel that it is a reasonable solution to anything.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
When working at Best Buy for 3 years, I saw this too. It amazed me that people would come charging into the store and let loose on one of us. Hadn't they ever heard of "honey attracting more flies?" All I know is that the respectful customers got a whole lot further
I deal with a lot of angry people, usually it is because they misunderstand. I had a guy get really mad to the point of yelling at me yesterday and by the time I was done explaining he actually felt pretty stupid because it wasn't my fault at all. I actually get yelled at a lot lately probably because I deal with money and when it comes to money people that are normally level headed, change.
Post a Comment