Tuesday, October 13, 2009
I Like Columbus
There is all this talk about changing Columbus Day to Autumn Day. I guess there was some not so good things that happened when Columbus discovered America. They said this morning that he was supposed to be the first settler to America, but that it wasn't correct because there were already people (natives) here. Well, my take on the whole thing is that the original reason for honoring Columbus is still there. He did go out on a voyage and discovered this land. That is history. To dwell on what he brought to the natives such as smallpox and other things, is a different issue. It is an issue of human nature and the times they were living in and the hardness of life. Why is it that we have to trash our history every time we turn around because of some perceptions that can become skewed. Well, all I can say is that I am sure glad Columbus made that voyage, discovered this land, and made it possible for my ancestors many years later to come here. I am thankful that I live here in this land where I can have freedom. And I am going to use that freedom to call it Columbus Day even if they do change it to Autumn day. Because I LIKE Columbus.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I TOTALLY agree! I hate that every person in history is put under a microscope...none of us are perfect ;) I think he did a great job!
Post a Comment